Corporate Services Group
About Corporate Services Group
Corporate Services Group aims to support operational delivery of the University’s mission, core strategic goals, and the ongoing plans of Colleges, Schools and other Support Groups.
In support of the Strategic Vision 2025 statement, we support and enable the delivery of the University's mission and strategic goals, not the least of which is promotion to the staff and student experience. We liaise with Colleges, Schools and other Professional Services Groups to:
- Promote the optimum use of financial resources in support of teaching, research, innovation and other priority areas, through our Finance and Procurement teams;
- Develop a stimulating physical environment in which our students and staff can flourish, through our Estates, Accommodation, Catering and Events and Sports & Exercise teams;
- Enhancing the University’s research and innovation success via our Edinburgh Innovations and Research Support Office teams;
- Promote responsibility for the wider environment through our Social Responsibility and Sustainability team;
- Safeguard and service our wide-ranging research and other activities via our Health & Safety team, and our Bioresearch & Veterinary Services team;
- Oversee and support Risk Management and Business Continuity across the University;
- Support Data-Driven Innovation initiatives across the University, via the DDI Programme Delivery Office;
- Promote commercial and other endevours both via our Corporate Development Team, and through our portfolio of Subsidiary Companies, including scholarly publishing (Edinburgh University Press) and High-Performance Computing (UoE HPCx Ltd), venture investment (Old College Capital), and accomodation, catering and events (UoE Accomodation Ltd).
We value the delivery of efficient, effective professional services in all areas, and strive for the highest standards in professional competence and best practice.
Corporate Services Group (CSG) is led by the Vice-Principal of Business Development and Director of Corporate Services, Hugh Edmiston, and comprises the Director's Office, eleven specialisms within the University, and a number of subsidiary companies.
In the video below, Hugh introduces CSG and the ways in which the group supports the work of the University.
Further information about CSG can be found via the links and presentation below.
- Details of the Director of Corporate Services and Director's Office
- CSG specialisms within the University
- CSG subsidiary companies
- Risk Management and Business Continuity Services
Director and Team
Hugh Edmiston is currently the Vice Principal of Business Development and Director of Corporate Services and an executive member of the senior team. He is responsible for 12 groups which include finance, property and the commercialisation of research and services. In addition he leads of a number of the University’s strategic projects which include Data Driven Innovation for the City Deal and the development of the life sciences Bioquarter campus.
Hugh has significant change management and merger experience and he holds a number of commercial board and public sector committee positions. Previous roles have included Registrar for the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at the University of Edinburgh and Director of Operations for the Roslin Institute and Silsoe Research Institute.
CSG University Specialisms
Corporate Services Group includes 11 professional specialisms within the University itself.
- Accommodation, Catering and Events
- Bioresearch and Veterinary Services
- Health and Safety
- Procurement Office and Printing Services
- Research Support Office
- Social Responsibility and Sustainability
- Sport & Exercise
- Corporate Development
- Risk and Resilience